Ok, I am going to jump on the bandwagon here. It has been fascinating this week to hear all the talk on the web and in person regarding this man. It was 1998 when I first heard of him. Somewhere on t.v. I had heard something about him or saw him on something (we did not have cable so it was not his show). Then at the 1998 Youth Gathering in Atlanta, on the screen in the mass events, there were some mini videos played. One was with a comedian/magician parodying the Crocodile Hunter and it was funny and very good. After that, I began hearing more about him. When we would go to relatives, we got to see some episodes and they were fun to watch. He would do interviews on t.v. bringing some of his animals with him. Why has this man caught our attention? I think he caught our attention not only for the fact that he wrestled with crocs and other wildlife in an attempt to help them, but because of his youthful enthusiasm and his love for what he was doing. He also had a sense of urgency. He had a way with how he would talk about the animals he was working with. Gave us lots of facts along with the entertainment. Lots of people have learned lots about creatures that we are usually very afraid of. He never lost that enthusiasm.
Then I found myself asking this week, what would happen in the world if we, as Christian, had that same enthusiasm and urgency to tell others about our salvation in Jesus. I think we would be saying "WOW"!!
Jesus told us "And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28: 18-20 (ESV) I believe that we are suppose to be excited about this, we are to be enthusiastic and have a sense of urgency.
Was Steve Irwin a Christian? I don't know and I don't find very much that indicates his spiritual life. I pray that he was, but if he wasn't, I mourn that even more than his dying.
While I was stunned when I learned of his death late Sunday night, I was not at all surprised that this would be the way he would leave us. His style was more hands on than many who handle or work with wildlife.
One thing he has reminded me this week is that we sould be passionate, enthusiastic and have a sense of urgency in our telling other of Jesus.
These are my thoughts of the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment