Today marks the two year mark of when I had surgery which also diagnosed I had ovarian cancer Stage 1C Grade 1. To be diagnosed at Stage 1 is unusual as 70% of the cases are Stage 3 or 4.
It has been an interesting 2 years. I had to have 3 chemo tretments for this to make sure that it was all gone. Those were not easy but I did make it through them. So often I hear people say they don't think they could ever go through chemo. Well, I tell you that when you have to you do it. In this day and age, there are so many ways to treat the side effects.
Ovarian cancer does not have any one test to diagnose it. There are many things that point to it but surgery and the pathology is the only way to tell for sure. Many times women are being treated for irritable bowel syndrome. So if you are being treated for that and are not getting better, ask your doctor to check out you reproductive system.
The two years since have been amazing. I have gone on two mission trips and celebrated our 25th anniversary in Hawaii. I am glad to be here. I am thankful to my family doctor for being persistent in figuring out what was going that day in October two years ago when I was having lower abdominal pain. Then he got me into a specialist at Mayo in Rochester right away and surgery was a few days later.
No comments:
Post a Comment