Today we celebrate the Independence of the United States. Something that took time in making it happen as well as blood spilled and lives lost. Something that our military continues to do today for the preservation of this country. I, for one, am very appreciative of all those who have served our country in the many different wars and conflicts around the globe to keep our country free.
It is my prayer that our country continue to be an icon for those freedoms, though sometimes I do wonder. Yet, I look at how many people around the world live without many of the things we take for granted.
We had a mission speaker in church on Sunday who serves in Viet Nam. While they can be there to provide services, they can not go out and spread the Gospel message. They show the Gospel by doing what they are doing with and for the people of this country. They are beginning to open up to the idea of churches. I think of how people can not worship in the way they choose without fear of reprisals from their government. While we have some restrictions on where we can do certain things, we can still gather and worship when we want to.
There are many other countries where this is the way it is. We had an exchange student from a former eastern bloc country. When told he needed to sign his passport for it to be valid, he was almost livid, he could not do that as his government had not told him to sign the passport.
So, while we complain that certain freedoms have been taken away from us, we do have lots to which many places do not. We can sign our passport without being told to or fear of what might happen if we do.
So, to the veterans of all the wars and those who have served since before the beginning of this great country, I applaud you, I thank you and I salute you. You are a big part of what makes this country great.
Please continue to pray for our country as we move forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment