August 18, 1919 - October 23, 2006
My Uncle Wally entered the Kingdom on Glory on October 23, 2006. When I was growing, up my Aunt Kay and Uncle Wally lived about 100 miles from us. We would go to Lincoln a couple of times a year and they would come to Hastings a couple of times a year. My Uncle was usually a happy easy going kind of man. He would joke around with us. I still remember his pipe and to this day, when I smell a pipe (rarely now though), I would be back in Lincoln watching him prepare his pipe and smoke it.
Three years ago, David and I had the prvilige of visiting my Aunt and Uncle in Phoenix. Uncle Wally had been having heart problems and dementia and the day we were there, he was having a good day. He told us stories of his World War II experiences. You see, he was a Combat Medic and was a member of one of the Companies that liberated Dachau and his medic skills were needed. He saw lots of horrific things there. He also told us of receiving the Jubilee of Liberty Medal from the French Government in 2002. This was something that he was extremely honored to receive.
I traveled to Phoenix last weekend to attend his funeral service and to support my aunt and cousins. We know that he is resting in the arms of Jesus and is painfree. We will miss you.
No comments:
Post a Comment